Travelling North from Newcastle, Sydney or further south by car:
Take the Sydney-Newcastle Freeway (F3) bypassing Newcastle. The F3 joins the Pacific Highway. Follow the Pacific Highway (signposted Taree) to Bulahdelah and continue on through Nabiac. About 6 km past Nabiac, turn right onto Failford Road and follow signs to Forster. After turning right onto The Lakes Way, the Great Lakes TAFE and Secondary College Campus is approximately 6 km. It is to your left at the first set of traffic lights you encounter on The Lakes Way. If you get to the bridge going into Forster, you have gone too far.
Travelling South from North Coast and Brisbane:
Follow the Pacific Highway south past Taree to either of the two Forster exits (the first is The Lakes Way and the second is Failford Road). Once on the The Lakes Way go through to Tuncurry and the Great Lakes TAFE and Secondary College Campus is approximately 6 km past the Failford Road intersection. It is to your left at the first set of traffic lights you encounter on The Lakes Way. If you get to the bridge going into Forster, you have gone too far.
Charter buses from Sydney and Newcastle (and return after the Full Retreat):
Rigpa will charter a bus from Sydney to Tiona Park departing during the morning of the 12th January 2017 from the Countrylink area on the upper concourse, Central Station. The usual time for this bus to depart is 10:00am but confirmation of this time will be made closer to the day.
Rigpa will operate another bus from Newcastle Airport during the afternoon of the 12th January 2017. The usual time for this bus to depart Newcastle Airport at 2:00pm.
Return buses to Newcastle and Sydney will depart the Great Lakes TAFE Campus on the 23rd January 2017 around 8:00am (NOTE: this is the day after the final retreat session for the Full Retreat). If you are using this bus service, it is recommended that you do not book flights leaving before late afternoon of the 23rd January as the buses will arrive in Newcastle around 11:00am and in Sydney after 2.00pm.
Private bus service after Short Retreat or Extension:
For those attending the Short Retreat or Extension, there is a public Busways bus that leaves from various locations in Forster and Tuncurry each weekday. Plan to leave on the morning after the Short Retreat on the 17th January or when the Extension finishes on the 27 January 2017. The Information Booth can assist you with details.
Busways North Coast (contact phone number: 02 4997 4788) operates a Newcastle-Taree-Newcastle service, via Newcastle station or Broadmeadow station. To get to Forster Tuncurry from Sydney by Busways North Coast you need to catch a train to Newcastle or Broadmeadow Railway stations and meet the bus there. The timetable for this service can be found at
Air travel to the retreat is possible via Sydney or Newcastle airports. Qantas, Virgin Blue, and Jetstar fly to Newcastle (about a 2.5 hour drive south of Forster Tuncurry). It is usually considerably cheaper to fly to Newcastle, rather than Sydney, from Brisbane or Melbourne.
If you can offer a lift to retreat or would like to request a lift you can visit our classifieds page.
Using the classifieds page is easy:
- First register yourself as a user. At the top right of the page, select ‘Register for a free account’
- Once you have logged in, please remember your name, password and email combination.
- In the top right corner of the next page is a ‘Publish your ad for free’ button. Press this
- Under the ‘Category’ select ‘Rooms for Rent – shared’
- Under the ‘Title’, please enter whether you have a room to offer, a bed to offer, need a room or need a bed
- Under ‘Description’, please enter more detail about what you are offering or need. At a minimum, please include contact details and a brief outline.
- Press the ‘Publish’ button. This then enters your ad into the classifieds
- Remember to keep your user id and password handy as you may need them if you want to return and amend your ad
- For assistance in posting an ad or linking others, contact Anna Greig on 0448 814 205
- Please note that while the classifieds page is checked daily but it is not moderated and Rigpa Fellowship Inc assumes no responsibility for any of the classifieds listed there. This is a public site and we do get spam but remove this as quickly as possible.